Thursday, June 25, 2015

Summertime, And The Living is Easy.

We started our summer adventures by traveling to the Ocala National Forest.  We are here for 2 weeks of kayaking, fun, and relaxation.  It's our 15th honeymoon trip.  Here is where, if you want to, you can witness ancient Florida.  The vegetation and animals living freely and unencumbered by civilization, for the most part.  Walking on the Bear Swamp Trail here in Salt Springs Recreation Area is a treat for the senses.  I drifted in and out of scent pockets that tickled my nose with delight.  Pine needles, gently roasting in the sulight and lifting thier citrusy scent upwards, sweet, perfumes of unseen flowers, resembling jasmine and orange blossoms enfolding your body as you pass by, wild rosemary and dog fennel adding a savory scent to the air's pungent, pleasant mix.  The dappled sunlight, obstructed by majestic trees all making you feel like you stepped back in time to a place that makes you feel at peace, at one with the earth and it's inhabitants around you.  Towhees, titmice, cardinals all singing you along your way.  Lizards of various types darting across the path to get out of the way of your feet.  Squirrel, deer, bears and other animals hide deep within the woods, but you hear them scampering, jumping, walking just out of sight.  On my walk I could smell deer fur.  I don't know how to explain it, except to say that once you've smelled it you never forget it and you know it when you encounter it again.  Usually I see deer on my wooded walks in Florida.  I assume one of these walks I will again.   Bear are abundant here in Marion County, in Ocala National Forest, and while I want to see one... I don't really want it to see ME.  I'd be happy with a drive by view.   We are the proud owners of two new kayaks and took them out in the pristine, clear waters of Salt Springs.  It was a calm, gorgeous day with white puffy clouds, blue skies and calm, smooth waters.
Photos are being taken and will be uploaded soon.  Along with more stories.  Happy to be back on the road.  Happy to be adventuring with you all again, too!  Welcome to the adventure of 2015.

No comments:

The Dennen Family

My photo
North Port, Florida, United States
We are Vince, Cheri, Linus-Rudolph (or Rudy for short) and Misty (Rudy’s brother) We love traveling across the USA and meeting all kinds of great people, seeing new places, having grand adventures, and creating fond memories in our class A motorhome!

Vincent & Cheri

Vincent & Cheri