Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I almost took a picture......

This post is purely verbal.  Trust me when I tell you, you wouldn't want to see the photos, but I WAS tempted to take some!  We were packing up the rig; making her travel ready, as we were heading to Savannah after having a wonderful trip seeing family in Atlanta and an amazing laser show on the side of Stone Mountain.  So much to do at Stone Mountain we didn't do...so we decided we'd come back sometime and stay longer.  It was a beautiful park!  Until it came time to DUMP.  Dumping, by the way, is my job.  As one of the wifely duties, I get to release all of the feces and urine that was stored up under the coach in tanks into the sewer.  I tell my husband today that I always feel dirty after doing that; as if I were more involved than I really am when going through the process.  He said: "Oh, you should think about it like flushing the toilet!  No big deal!"  No big deal for him, as he sits inside the air conditioned rig talking to the cat.  "Yeah," I said; "Except, I don't get intimately involved with my poop before I flush it down....this is slightly different.  You could try it once to see, if you like:" Of course, this garnered a laugh and then a quick, "No, thanks"...


So...If you're LUCKY you have an on site sewer, so you can stay hooked up to a water source for all your dumping needs.  You'll just have to trust me on this one..its just the way to go.  So... after all is done in getting ready, I go out to do my civic sewer duty... open up hatch one (the black water hatch <---nice way of saying raw sewage) and then hook up the sewer hose and place the opening into the sewer opening, making sure it's secure.  Once you have, it's bombs away.  (My loving husband bought me a CLEAR sewer hose connection so I could WATCH what comes out.  While this might sound gross, and perhaps as grounds for divorce, it's actually helpful to know. and see what's coming out.  OK, it's a little gross...but I'm used to it now.  ANYWAY... today I open up the floodgates and let the sewage fly and WHUMP, it all comes right back up, out of the sewer pipe and all over the place.  The first thing that goes through your mind is "HOLY SH**!" and you stand there shocked and helpless.  Then you remember, there IS a way to turn it off!  Which I did before all if it was everywhere.  There I was with a predicament I'd never experienced before.  My knight in shining armor on a white steed...OK, it was a guy in a white pick up truck... came.  The park garbage/handy/grounds man came by.... seeing the obvious distress I was in, he got out and came over to see what was wrong.  OK, I flagged him down, nearly in tears and all panicked.  Still, he helped me out....he was able to flush out the remaining, leftover sewage from my hose and then he told me I'd have to finish at the dump station.  OH, NO!  Oh, well.  We sidled up to the dump area and I finished letting out the black tank and then the grey tank (what the soapy dishwater/shower water is called)  and we were on our way to Savannah...A stint I don't ever want to repeat.  Nothing like smelly, gross, oddly colored sewerage flying all over you to really start the day off right!  NOT!  The point of this story?  Camping isn't all glamor.  There are some guts, too.  See you in Savannah!

No comments:

The Dennen Family

My photo
North Port, Florida, United States
We are Vince, Cheri, Linus-Rudolph (or Rudy for short) and Misty (Rudy’s brother) We love traveling across the USA and meeting all kinds of great people, seeing new places, having grand adventures, and creating fond memories in our class A motorhome!

Vincent & Cheri

Vincent & Cheri