Friday, June 20, 2008

Provincetown!

Today we journeyed to the outermost town on the Cape. There is a monument there, called pilgrim monument. It is 252 feet tall, begun in 1907, completed in 1910. It is there to commemorate the first landing of the Pilgrims in the Province lands, and the writing of the Mayflower Compact that was also done there, prior to them sailing onward to Plymouth. Now before you Cape-o-philes say...No, no, no... the first place the Pilgrims landed was First Encounter Beach in Eastham, I say, nope. THAT is where the Pilgrims first encountered Indians. (Hence, the "First Encounter" name).

So, the tower, it's 252 feet tall, and today I climbed up every foot of it. As I wheezed and huffed and puffed my way up, I recalled years gone by when I went with my parents, and I'm sure I pestered them all the way to "hurry up!". I have a whole new appreciation for the task that it was, as my ungainly body kept asking me "can we stop by that window?", and "breathe deeply, no DEEPER!", and "do we have any water around here?" Vincent remained at the bottom, in the museum part. It's good he did, because I don't think any of us could piggy back the other. (The good news, I've been exercising a LOT every day!) I found there were 2 things I really liked about the tower... getting to the top, finally... and coming down. Down was a snap! The view from the top was amazing and breath-taking.

Before going up into the tower, we sauntered down Commercial street and venturing into the shops and taking in the sights. We saw an interesting older gentleman dressed in gold lamé hot pants and gold lamé accouterments. He was singing Elvis songs. There is a photo of him in the slide show.

I went into a favorite store of mine, Galadriel's Mirror, that had everything half off today. I got a lovely pair of earrings and a necklace. We went into a wonderful kite shop and purchased an orca whale wind sock to hang on the RV.

On our adventures today, we also went to the National Seashore's Visitor Center (where I bought a book written by my college biology teacher!)in Eastham, Marconi Beach in Wellfleet, Race Point in Provincetown. We drove a bit and explored the outer Cape a bit. We came home, grilled up some steaks and are getting ready to go off to blissful sleep. Tomorrow, it's back to the Mid-Cape to see Martha and go to the beach, and Sunday is the "Chowdah Festival" at the Melody Tent.

Enjoy the P-Town slideshow....I'll post more tomorrow.

No comments:

The Dennen Family

My photo
North Port, Florida, United States
We are Vince, Cheri, Linus-Rudolph (or Rudy for short) and Misty (Rudy’s brother) We love traveling across the USA and meeting all kinds of great people, seeing new places, having grand adventures, and creating fond memories in our class A motorhome!

Vincent & Cheri

Vincent & Cheri