Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Natchitoches... No, you're not saying it right!

I know you WANT to say Nat-chi-toe-ches, don't you. Admit it! You do! But, don't. If you want to look saavy in this wonderful little town, you should know how to say it. Nack-i-tush. It's an native American word that means either "place of the paw paw" or "paw paw eater". It's a word out of the Caddo tribe. Paw paw are fruit. There, you've had your history lesson.

We arrived here on Friday, July 8th, and made camp at the Country Livin' RV park. It is a place where folks either live more or less permanently or stop in over night. We are apparently "odd" (well, THERE'S a SURPRISE!) in that we signed up to stay for 5 days. Across the street from our park is the biggest crop of the area...

There is also a lot of history to see here, and we thought it would be nice. More about the park later...

We began our lovely experience here in Natchitoches, LA on Saturday...we went to the Cane River Green Market. The local farmer's market is held along the banks of the Cane River. The day was so darned hot, that it made it difficult to enjoy what should have been a very lovely experience. We bought some exquisite Ruston peaches, sweet blueberries and sweet onions. Afterwards we walked along the main street and popped into several different shops. We purchased amazing coffee for our breakfasts, some hardware from the oldest hardware store in LA... some hand lotion that smells like honey and oranges... and then we went to Lasyone's Meat Pie Kitchen. <--It's pronounced "Lah-zee-yones" Not Lazy ones (trust me, I found out the HARD way...I'm saving you the embarrassment). I had one of their famous meat pies...Vincent had a hamburger. Both were yummy. We would have walked around more, but MAN it was hot...over 100 degrees. Not conducive to walking around long. We stopped off at the local supermarket for some supplies, and made it back home again.





Sunday was one of those days where you just can't get out of your own way. You want to, because you have so much to do, but you just can't. I TRIED to do laundry (REALLY I DID!) but, I just couldn't. I swear I heard the dirty clothes taunt me. I figured I was teaching it a lesson by letting it stay dirty one more day. It was a very lazy day. Nothing more to say.

Monday we finally got up the gumption to do the laundry. We woke up early and did it! YES! We are GOOD!~ The weirdest part of the day was when the owner of the park came up to the RV, knocked on the door and said to my husband: "Hello. I haven't seen you for a while. How is everything going?" to which my husband looked quizzically at her and said: "Fine". Dead silence for a bit...then she said: "Is everything going OK?" which garnered a "Yup! Just really hot!" from Vincent. Silence. Then Vincent said: "Is there something you wanted from us?" her response: "No, I just wanted to check in and see how you were. We hadn't seen you out and wanted to be sure all was well." We've never had that experience before at any RV park. Not really sure what caused it. The best I could come up with was the heat...and perhaps she was worried about us in the heat...but the next day, Vincent said she was pacing back and forth in front of the RV looking at the RV. She passed about 6 times. I'm not sure, but I think she wants my husband. Well, I'm here to tell her she can't have him. He's MINE! We decided that we should probably go out so she can see we are alive and safe.

Tuesday we left to go have my work computer debugged. Got some malware on it and needed it cleaned. Glad to say, it was quick, easy and painless, and nothing was lost or adversely affected. While we were waiting for the computer to be fixed, we visited some of the sights... we drove by the Steel Magnolia house...and a few of the other homes used in the movie by the same name. We visited a fort, that was recreated and nicely done. We visited a home that was built out of a material known as bousillage, which is a mixture of mud, Spanish moss, and deer hair. Mmmmmmm. Now THAT house must have smelled yummy in the rain! I can't believe the building was made in the 1700's and is STILL standing today. Albeit there were holes made by insects and animals here and there, but you can easily repair that by mixing up a bucket of bousillage and patching it up. (Just where does one get large quantities of deer hair anyway? Did the people chase deer around with brushes?) Here is the house that was made of bousillage.

Vincent's Mom was busy at work making amazing clouds to fill the blue skies with. I like to think maybe she's teaching my mom a new "craft" to work on in Heaven. Enjoy the last few clouds we caught on film...and we'll talk again when we're in Arkansas, mining for diamonds at Crater of Diamonds State Park.

No comments:

The Dennen Family

My photo
North Port, Florida, United States
We are Vince, Cheri, Linus-Rudolph (or Rudy for short) and Misty (Rudy’s brother) We love traveling across the USA and meeting all kinds of great people, seeing new places, having grand adventures, and creating fond memories in our class A motorhome!

Vincent & Cheri

Vincent & Cheri